E-mail MeDerrick A. Mills
Derrick Mills is a partner with the law firm of Marsh, Rickard & Bryan, P.C.
Derrick is a cum laude graduate of the University of North Alabama. He received his J.D. degree magna cum laude from the University of Alabama School of Law in 2003.
Derrick is a graduate of the Alabama State Bar Leadership Forum and the Birmingham Bar Association's inaugural class of the Future Leaders Forum. Both programs involved training and discussions that are designed to help young lawyers become servant leaders in their own communities, and develop leadership skills in the legal profession.
Derrick is the immediate past president of the Magic City Bar Association, the Birmingham area's minority bar association. He is also a member of the Birmingham Bar Association, the Alabama Association for Justice and the American Bar Association. Derrick is also an Alabama State Bar Commissioner, representing the 10th Judicial Circuit.
Upon graduation from law school, Derrick served as a law clerk for the now-retired Honorable Judge U.W. Clemon of the Northern District of Alabama.
Areas of Practice
- Personal Injury -- Plaintiff
- Products Liability
- Business Litigation
- Bad Faith
- 100% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- Alabama, 2003
- Mississippi, 2004
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Alabama, 2004
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Alabama, 2004
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Alabama, 2004
- U.S. Court of Appeals 11th Circuit, 2006
- The University of Alabama School of Law, Tuscaloosa, Alabama
- J.D. magna cum laude - 2003
- Law Journal: Journal of Legal Profession, 2001 - 2003
- University of North Alabama, Florence, Alabama
- B.S. cum laude
- Major: Political Science
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Alabama Bar Association, 10th Judicial Circuit Board of Bar Commissioners 2010-2013, 2003 - Present
- Birmingham Bar Association, Executive Committee 2008-2009, 2004 - Present
- Birmingham Bar Association, Young Lawyers Section, Executive Committee, 2006 - 2009
- Magic City Bar Association, President 2010, 2004 - Present
- American Bar Association, 2006 - Present
- Alabama Association for Justice, Board of Directors 2010, 2007 - Present
Past Employment Positions
- Hon. U.W. Clemon, U.S. District Court, Northern District of Alabama, Law Clerk, 2003 - 2004
- Lightfoot, Franklin & White, LLC, Associate, 2004 - 2007
- Kappa Alpha Psi