Derrick A. Mills
Derrick Mills was raised in a small town in Alabama, where being a good person, a good student and a hard worker was important to him. He learned that the trust of those around him was something to be earned.
"My mother taught me about trust - to earn the trust of those you work with and those for whom you work. Trust is the basis for all good relationships."
Along with his mother, the now-deceased U.S. Senator Howell Heflin took Mills under his wing and imparted an education that will always be with him. Senator Heflin showed Mills how the law related to everyday life.
He gives much credit to his other mentors: his high school football coach, his high school principals, federal Judge U.W. Clemon (for whom he clerked) and others.
"President Potts at the University of North Alabama showed me how to tie a tie. That's pretty important when you stand before a judge," he chuckles.
Mills colleagues at Marsh, Rickard & Bryan, P.C., taught him that to fully understand a client's problems, it is necessary to be able to put himself in their situation. "I want the client to trust and believe me from the first time we meet. It's a primary goal here at MRB and I believe we honor our clients and each other. My values are a natural fit here at MRB."
- Alabama, 2003
- Mississippi, 2004
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Alabama, 2004
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Alabama, 2004
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Alabama, 2004
- U.S. Court of Appeals 11th Circuit, 2006
- The University of Alabama School of Law, Tuscaloosa, Alabama
- J.D. magna cum laude - 2003
- Law Journal: Journal of Legal Profession, 2001 - 2003
- University of North Alabama, Florence, Alabama
- B.S. cum laude
- Major: Political Science
Honors and Awards
- Alabama SuperLawyer, Rising Star , 2010-2013
- Alabama SuperLawyer, 2014, 2015
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Alabama Bar Association, 10th Judicial Circuit Board of Bar Commissioners 2010-2015, 2003 - Present
- Birmingham Bar Association, Executive Committee 2008-2009, 2004 - Present
- Birmingham Bar Association, Young Lawyers Section, Executive Committee, 2006 - 2009
- Magic City Bar Association, President 2010, 2004 - Present
- American Bar Association, 2006 - Present
- Alabama Association for Justice, Board of Directors 2010, 2007 - Present
Past Employment Positions
- Hon. U.W. Clemon, U.S. District Court, Northern District of Alabama, Law Clerk, 2003 - 2004
- Lightfoot, Franklin & White, LLC, Associate, 2004 - 2007
- Kappa Alpha Psi