Roger L. Lucas
Roger Lucas came into the legal profession with a distinct advantage. His father's avocation as a Dale Carnegie instructor taught him to verbally communicate with and have a genuine interest in people.
"Of course, the tools of a lawyer are words, written and spoken," Lucas says. "That's why you have to have a balance of both to be successful in the courtroom."
Lucas sees himself as an advocate for working people. Often his cases involve complicated safety and work-related issues. To Lucas, there is no excuse for lack of safety provisions on the job.
The use of analystical skills learned from his father and honed at Marsh, Rickard & Bryan, P.C., helps him cut through much of the formal legal language and get to the most important points to share in the courtroom.
"I combine the scientific elements and the emotional aspects in every case for every client. And I believe in the fairness of the jury system. It's at the heart of the American legal system and puts everybody on an even footing."
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Alabama
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Alabama
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Alabama
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Mississippi
- U.S. Court of Appeals 11th Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Cumberland School of Law, Samford University, Birmingham, Alabama
- University of Montevallo, Montevallo, Alabama
- B.A. cum laude - 1978
- Honors: Dean's List
- Major: Political Science
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Association for Justice, Member, 1981 - Present
- Alabama Trial Lawyers Association, Member, 1981 - Present
Past Employment Positions
- Lucas, Petway & Tucker, P.C., Shareholder/President, 1990 - 2007
- Emond & Vines, Partner, 1982 - 1990
- Supreme Court of Alabama, Hon. Justice Eric Embry, Law Clerk, 1981 - 1982