Derrick Mills was raised in a small town in Alabama, where being a good person, a good student and a hard worker was important to him. He learned that the trust of those around him was something to be earned.
"My mother taught me about trust - to earn the trust of those you work with and those for whom you work. Trust is the basis for all good relationships."
Along with his mother, the now-deceased U.S. Senator Howell Heflin took Mills under his wing and imparted an education that will always be with him. Senator Heflin showed Mills how the law related to everyday life.
He gives much credit to his other mentors: his high school football coach, his high school principals, federal Judge U.W. Clemon (for whom he clerked) and others.
"President Potts at the University of North Alabama showed me how to tie a tie. That's pretty important when you stand before a judge," he chuckles.
Mills colleagues at Marsh, Rickard & Bryan, P.C., taught him that to fully understand a client's problems, it is necessary to be able to put himself in their situation. "I want the client to trust and believe me from the first time we meet. It's a primary goal here at MRB and I believe we honor our clients and each other. My values are a natural fit here at MRB."
AREAS OF PRACTICE
- Personal Injury -- Plaintiff
- Products Liability
- Business Litigation
- Bad Faith
- Alabama, 2003
- Mississippi, 2004
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Alabama, 2004
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Alabama, 2004
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Alabama, 2004
- U.S. Court of Appeals 11th Circuit, 2006
- The University of Alabama School of Law, Tuscaloosa, Alabama
- J.D. - 2003
- Honors: magna cum laude
- University of North Alabama, Florence, Alabama
- Honors: cum laude
- Major: Political Science
HONORS AND AWARDS
- Alabama SuperLawyer, Rising Star , 2010-2013
- Alabama SuperLawyer, 2014, 2015
PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS AND MEMBERSHIPS
- Alabama Bar Association, 10th Judicial Circuit Board of Bar Commissioners 2010-2015, 2003 to Present
- Birmingham Bar Association, Executive Committee 2008-2009, 2004 to Present
- Birmingham Bar Association, Young Lawyers Section, Executive Committee, 2006 to 2009
- Magic City Bar Association, President 2010, 2004 to Present
- American Bar Association, 2006 to Present
- Alabama Association for Justice, Board of Directors 2010, 2007 to Present
PAST EMPLOYMENT POSITIONS
- Hon. U.W. Clemon, U.S. District Court, Northern District of Alabama, Law Clerk, 2003 to 2004
- Lightfoot, Franklin & White, LLC, Associate, 2004 to 2007
- Kappa Alpha Psi