Where will you turn after a boating or swimming accident?

On Behalf of | Apr 26, 2016 | Personal Injury

Alabama is home to numerous beaches, lakes and waterways, making it perfect for recreational activities such as boating, fishing and swimming. These activities are extremely popular, whether they take place in one of our state’s many lakes, rivers or in Mobile Bay.

There are, however, serious risks that come with water activities. An accident or injury caused by another party’s negligence can quickly turn a day of fun into a tragedy. Will you know what to do if this happens to you or your family?

Accidents and injuries that occur on beaches, rivers, lakes or the Gulf can be complex. Depending on the location and the details of the accident, there may be more than one liable or negligent party. Who owns the property where you were injured: a public or private entity? In some cases, there may be both. The beach or waterway may be public property, but the docks, snack bars and other structures may be owned by private or commercial entities.

Was a negligent individual at fault? For example, if you were boating or swimming and were hit by a drunk boater, that person is a negligent party.

Because these cases are complex, working with a personal injury law firm is the best way to protect your rights. An attorney can review your accident and determine who is liable for your injuries.

The many dangers of water activities

Some of the most common accidents caused by recreational water activities include:

  • Boating accidents
  • Jet Ski accidents
  • Waterskiing and wakeboarding accidents
  • Swimming accidents
  • Slip-and-fall accidents on piers, docks, stairs and in restrooms

Injuries caused by these accidents are often severe. People may suffer broken bones or amputations, traumatic brain injuries and spinal cord injuries. In addition, someone who survives a drowning accident may be left with irreversible brain damage due to oxygen deprivation.

Have fun, but be careful, on the water. If you suffer an injury, make sure you get the compensation you need to cover all of your losses.

FindLaw Network