Alabama workers’ comp pays lower benefits; third-party compensation can help

On Behalf of | Jun 28, 2016 | Work Accidents

Injured workers in Alabama may receive the lowest workers’ compensation benefits in the country, depending on their specific injury. Workers who suffer an amputation or lose permanent use of a part of the body typically qualify for permanent partial disability (PPD) benefits under workers’ comp. Alabama’s workers’ comp permanent partial disability benefits pay the least amount of any state.

For example, the loss of a leg under Alabama’s workers’ compensation law is worth up to only $44,000. Losing an arm on the job in Alabama will only get you up to $48,840. By comparison, in Illinois, a lost leg is worth up to $403,090 and a lost arm is worth up to $439,858.

What can you do if you suffer a permanent work injury?

In many types of work injury cases, workers’ compensation does not provide enough money for families to pay their bills. Alabama’s financial compensation for permanent partial disability is especially low. It is capped at $220 per week – the lowest PPD benefits in the U.S.

Fortunately, there may be another source of compensation for injured workers. In some work accident cases, negligent third parties are involved. If a party other than your employer plays a role in your accident, you may be able to sue them for damages.

Construction accidents are a good example. There are numerous parties involved in construction such as contractors, subcontractors, suppliers, manufacturers, property owners, architects, engineers, electricians, plumbers, roofers, painters and more. A construction accident may well include a negligent third party.

An attorney can review your case to determine whether a negligent third party was involved. Because this is a personal injury lawsuit, you can sue for compensation that is in addition to any workers’ comp benefits you received. You can also sue for pain and suffering, which workers’ comp does not cover. Speak with a lawyer if you have questions about a work accident.

FindLaw Network