Mike Beard's introduction to the law was as a runner at a large law firm in Birmingham. His hard work and experience coming up through the ranks earned him a partnership at Marsh, Rickard & Bryan, P.C.
"I throw myself into a case" Beard said. "I thrive on mastering the facts in a complicated civil litigation. I believe in being thorough. It's the only way to succeed, especially when the odds may be against you."
Many of Beard's cases are very technical in nature, which makes it his job to distill the information into a story a jury can understand. He has had cases that deal with product design and failure, and is credited with changes that make products and the workplace safer.
"I am comfortable in the courtroom because of my knowledge of the facts and the team of good people from Marsh, Rickard & Bryan that go into the courtroom with me."
It is imperative to be thoroughly prepared, according to Beard. "Success is driven by thorough preparation."
AREAS OF PRACTICE
- Personal Injury
- Products Liability
- Wrongful Death
- Medical Malpractice
- Insurance Fraud
- Insurance Bad Faith
- Alabama, 1980
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Alabama, 1981
- U.S. Court of Appeals 11th Circuit, 1983
- Cumberland School of Law, Samford University, Birmingham, Alabama
- J.D. - 1980
- Honors: magna cum laude
- Honors: Member, Curia Honoris
- University of Alabama, Birmingham, Alabama
- B.S. - 1977
- Arbitrary Healthcare Pricing & the Misuse of Hospital Lien Statutes by Healthcare Providers, 38 Am. J. Trial Adv. 255, Winter, 2014
- The Impact of Changes in Health Care Provider Reimbursement , 21 Am. J. Trial Adv. 453, Spring, 1998
- Who Is a Proper Defendant Under the "Alabama Extended Manufacturer's Liability Doctrine?", 40 Alabama Lawyer 359, July, 1979
HONORS AND AWARDS
- The Best Lawyers in America, Transportation Law
- Super Lawyers
PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS AND MEMBERSHIPS
- Birmingham Bar Association, Executive Committee Member
- Alabama State Bar, Member
- Alabama Association for Justice, Member
PAST EMPLOYMENT POSITIONS
- Rives & Peterson, Partner, 1980 to 1991
- Starnes & Atchison, Partner, 1991 to 1999