Will workers’ comp be enough after a construction accident?

On Behalf of | Feb 12, 2018 | Firm News

You know that construction is a dangerous industry, but do you know what to do if you are injured in a construction accident? It can be confusing, especially when there are multiple parties and employers on a jobsite. You may also be scared of losing your job if you report an injury, but it is illegal to fire people for reporting injuries and making workers’ compensation claims.

What should you do?

Report your injury and then file a workers’ comp claim. If your claim is denied, don’t give up. You can appeal the denied claim. It’s important to get the workers’ comp benefits you are entitled to.

Workers’ compensation covers all of your medical bills from the accident, including reimbursement for travel to and from doctor’s appointments. It will also pay you a portion of your wages, typically two-thirds of your salary. If you lose permanent use of part of your body, you may also be entitled to a lump sum financial award. But is it enough?

Additional compensation may be available

In many construction accident cases, the injured worker can get workers’ comp and additional financial damages from a third party. There are many third parties on constructions sites, including contractors and subcontractors, property owners and suppliers. The manufacturers of the tools and machines on construction sites can also be third parties.

If any third party’s negligence played a part in your injury, you may be able to file a personal injury suit against them. This may be important because workers’ comp benefits are often not enough for workers and their families, especially when injuries are catastrophic or fatal.

A personal injury suit will provide additional compensation for your injury, your future losses from the accident, and for pain and suffering, which workers’ comp does not cover. If your injury means you cannot return to work, you will need this additional compensation.

Speak with a lawyer if you think you have a claim against a negligent third party. There is no cost to do so.

FindLaw Network