When you buy your child a Christmas present, your top priority is finding something that makes them happy. You have every reason to believe that if something is on the shelf, it is already safe.
Unfortunately, many toys that seem non-threatening can pose a danger to children. It’s strange to think that in 2018 in the United States, manufacturers can sell toys that are so risky, but it happens more often than consumers would think.
To raise awareness, the World Against Toys Causing Harm (W.A.T.C.H.) roundup reviews toys on the market every year and releases a list of the most dangerous playthings. Their hope is to make parents and other adults who are gift givers for children aware of which toys they should avoid.
Here are W.A.T.C.H.’s top 10 most dangerous toys:
- Nickelodeon Nella Princess Knight Pillow Pets Sleeptime Lights. This is considered hazardous because it has accessories can be removed and swallowed, and the batteries may leak acid.
- Nerf Vortex VTX Praxis Blaster. This toy is a risk for eye and facial injuries.
- Marvel Black Panther Slash Claw. While this toy may be highly sought after thanks to the success of the move earlier this year, this is also a risk for eye and facial injuries.
- Power Rangers Super Ninja Steel Superstar Blade. This toy could cause impact injuries to the face and body.
- Cabbage Patch Kids Dance Time Doll. This doll may be nostalgic and adorable, but the headband can be removed and ingested – particularly by children who are regularly putting toys in their mouths.
- Zoo Jamz Xylophone. The drum stick that comes with this little instrument could block a child’s airway if mouthed.
- Nici Wonderland Doll: Miniclara the Ballerina. The little dancer comes with a plush kitten, which can be removed and ingested.
- Stomp Rocket Ultra Rocket. This toy looks like a lot of fun, but it is a serious risk for eye and face injuries.
- Cutting Fruit. This magnetic fruit toy allows children two and older to halve the food items with a dull plastic knife. It can potentially cause blunt trauma and puncture wounds.
- Chien A Promener Pull Along Dog. The string attached to this wooden dog on wheels poses a risk for entanglement and strangulation.
As you go shopping this year for the children in your life or take inventory of the toys your children receive as gifts, consider avoiding these 10 items and be on the lookout for any toy that has the potential to cause harm to a child.