What type of compensation can I get for a car crash?

On Behalf of | Dec 1, 2021 | Car Accidents

A car accident is a traumatic experience that can put the lives of those involved at risk. To make things worse, a car crash can also imply several expenses like medical treatments and repairs to the car. However, the victims of car crashes in Alabama do not have to suffer these monetary losses. If another driver caused you to get into an accident, you have the right to sue them to get compensation for all the costs related to the crash.

Economic and non-economic damages

In Alabama, you can ask the driver for compensation if their negligence caused the crash. Negligent acts include not obeying the traffic laws, driving while distracted or driving under the influence. If the other driver caused the accident and your injuries, you can ask their insurer for compensation. If their insurer does not offer you a fair amount of compensation or denies your claim, you can take your case to court. As a victim of a car crash, you can recover both economic and non-economic damages, which include:

  • Compensation for all the medical expenses related to your injury
  • Compensation for your car’s repairs
  • Compensation for your lost wages
  • Compensation for your pain and suffering
  • Compensation for loss of companionship if you lost someone in the crash

You can also receive punitive damages if the court considers that the other driver was extraordinarily negligent or intentionally malicious. Punitive damages have a limit of three times the amount of the actual damages or a maximum of $1,500,00, whichever is greater.

Your rightful compensation

You do not deserve to pay for another’s negligence. That is why you have the right to sue the driver at fault if their insurer is unwilling to pay for your damages. However, you must not take too long to file a legal claim, as you can only do so within the two years following the accident. Otherwise, you may lose your right to ask for compensation, and you would have to pay a considerable amount for something that was not your fault.

FindLaw Network