The shattered glass from your windshield and windows came spraying down on you as your car rolled over on the highway and into a ditch. The presence of blood made you realize just how serious this was. All of this happened because a reckless driver failed to stop at an intersection and smashed into your car.
In such a startling scenario, a list of injuries may occur. From broken bones and severe lacerations to spinal cord and head injuries. But some of the most significant injuries may be as a result of the shards of glass.
Penetrating head injury
Some people may not survive from the severe loss of blood caused by glass-related injuries. That is why immediate medical attention is crucial. Here are some injuries that may occur due to shattered glass:
- Lacerations: Some may be so severe that they may require surgery. Glass can puncture the torso and limbs, causing significant damage to muscles, tendons, nerves, blood vessels and internal organs.
- Injuries to the eye: Sharp pieces of glass entering the eye at a high rate of speed may lead permanent vision problems and even blindness.
- Penetrating head injury: Concussions may be the most common injury. However, sharp pieces of glass can penetrate the skull, leading to brain bleeds. Such an injury can prove fatal.
- Severed limbs: Large and jagged pieces of glass may penetrate to the bone, leading to significant blood loss and the possible amputation of an arm or leg.
- Spinal cord injury: Penetrating glass injuries to the neck and spine may lead to a spinal cord injury.
Permanent scarring and disability along with a series of surgeries may be in store for victims of glass injuries. But, please, focus on your recovery.
Seek the compensation you deserve
A reckless driver has upended your life. You deserve compensation for medical costs and lost wages from the responsibility party. A skilled attorney can help you secure that.